3 ounce cans of diced fire-roasted tomatoes 14.5
2 cups of chicken broth
6 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
1 yellow onion chopped
1.5 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped basil
1 cup of parmesan cheese
Bread or croutons for dipping optional
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- After the 4 hours, add in the chopped basil leaves.
- Using either an immersion blender or a stand blender, blend soup until smooth.
- (If you used a regular stand blender return the soup to the slow cooker)
- After blended, add in the milk and parmesan cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook for 30 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!! (I like to serve mine with croutons and a little extra basil on top)
If you use a regular stand blender…be very careful! The hot soup creates steam in the blender and can blow the top off. Most blenders have a little cap in the middle of the lid that you can leave open. Leave that open and just cover with a towel so the steam doesn’t build in the blender. If you would like to speed this up and cook over the stove: Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large sauce pan and saute the onions over medium heat until they are translucent. Add in the garlic and cook for 2 additional minutes. Add in the tomatoes and chicken broth to the pot and cook for 20 minutes. Add in the basil and then blend the soup. Add in the parmesan cheese and cream and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 5 minutes over medium heat. Enjoy!
Original Recipes visit: Creamy Tomato Basil Soup @ cocoandash.com