1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup quinoa
1 (~4 cups) small butternut squash
1 can (15.25 ounces) kidney beans
1 can (15 ounces) corn
1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes*
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 packet (1.12 ounces) fajita seasoning mix
5 cups chicken broth**
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: fresh parsley, sour cream, cheddar cheese
- Remove the fat from the chicken. Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve to remove the bitter saponin coating.
- Peel, seed, and chop the butternut squash into small bite-sized pieces (or buy pre-chopped butternut squash for an even faster prep).
- Rinse and drain the kidney beans and corn.
- Lightly grease your slow cooker with nonstick spray (I use a 6-quart crockpot). Add in the chicken, quinoa, chopped squash, kidney beans, corn, undrained tomatoes, garlic, and fajita seasoning packet. (OR try a chili seasoning packet if you enjoy those flavors better).
- Pour in the chicken broth and give everything a good stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the quinoa is cooked through and the squash is very tender.
- At this point you can remove some of the squash and mash it with a potato masher and then put it back in the soup. This is totally optional, but makes it a bit heartier.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste and any other seasonings desired. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
- If desired, stir in some sour cream (we use and love reduced fat or fat free) and some freshly grated cheddar cheese.
- NOTE: slow cookers are known for cooking at different speeds – if yours tends to cook faster your chicken and squash could be done even earlier than 3 hours and alternatively everything may take longer to cook in a cooler slow cooker. The longer this cooks the more liquid the quinoa absorbs – if you don’t mind that’s fine, otherwise you can always add some more chicken broth and seasoning.
*I used fire roasted petite diced tomatoes for an extra kick of flavor. **Instead of chicken broth, I use chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in boiling water.
Original Recipes visit: Crockpot Butternut Squash, Chicken, and Quinoa Soup @ chelseasmessyapron.com