The BEST Eggplant Gratin With Feta Cheese – This creamy and scrumptious Eggplant Gratin is smothered with a secret white sauce and topped with a generous layer or Gruyere cheese. It is a side dish that is so easy to make and will be gone before you know it.
- 2 eggplants , sliced ½ inch thick
- 1/2 cup Crème Fraîche
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 3 oz Feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tsp thyme leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp chives chopes
- 4–5 basil leaves
- 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese grated
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Place sliced eggplant on a parchment lined baking pan (you might need to use 2 pans). Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until eggplant is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine Crème fraîche, half and half and Feta cheese. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Stir in thyme and chives and set aside.
- In 2.5-quart baking dish or gratin dish spread tomato sauce to cover the bottom. Place eggplant slices. They can slightly overlap each other. Spread tomato sauce once again and sprinkle with ¼ cup of Gruyere cheese. Scatter 1-2 torn basil leaves over the cheese.
- Continue layering with remaining eggplant, sauce and basil. Finish with pouring over the cream and Feta sauce and sprinkling with the remaining Gruyere cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and the top is browned. Serve warm.