2 medium eggplants peeled and sliced lengthwise ⅓” thick
2 tablespoons olive oil
few dashes of salt and pepper
1 cup almond milk ricotta I used Kite Hill brand, or you can make your own, see above for recipe
½ cup panko omit for Paleo, and increase ricotta by ¼ cup
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional
2 tablespoon chopped basil
½ tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 can of organic whole peeled tomatoes chopped, save the juice
2 cloves garlic chopped
¼ teaspoons red pepper
salt and pepper ½ teaspoon of each
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Slice each eggplant lengthwise into ⅓ “ thick sections.
- Line cookie sheet (you may need 2) with parchment paper and grease with olive oil.
- Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Lay them on the lined cookie sheet, not touching.
- Cook at 375 degrees F for around 25-30 min or until tender.
- Remove eggplant once tender and place them on a drying rack or flip occasionally while cooling to prevent condensation making them too moist.
- While eggplant is in the oven heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped garlic, red pepper, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Cook for about 30 seconds and then add chopped tomatoes and the juice from the can.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes to thicken the sauce, then remove from heat.
- In a bowl combine the ricotta, panko, basil, lemon juice, garlic salt, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, stir to combine.
- Pour the tomato sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish (Or if you used a cast iron skillet to prepare the sauce you can lay the eggplants on to the sauce in the cast iron skillet.)
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of ricotta mixture on the wider end of the eggplant and roll them up.
- Place each roll seam side down into the sauce.
- Place the skillet or dish into the oven for 15-20 minutes more until hot then you can increase heat to broil and move the dish up to the top rack to brown and crisp the top of the eggplant if you wish.
Original Recipes visit: Eggplant Involtini (Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-free, Vegan) @ kelleyandcricket.com