1 loaf sourdough or french bread
8 large eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with butter. Cut bread into cubes and then evenly distribute in the pan.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover tightly and store in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add nutmeg if desired. Add butter pieces and cut them into the dry mixture until mixture resembles fine pebbles. Store in a Ziploc in the fridge.
- When ready to bake the casserole, preheat oven to 350° F. Remove casserole from the fridge and sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the top. Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more bread pudding texture. Bake 1 hour or more for a firmer, less liquid texture.
- Scoop out individual portions. Top with powdered and drizzle with maple syrup.
Original recipe visit: French Toast Bake @ life-in-the-lofthouse.com