6-8 slices bacon, cut into 1/8 inch slices and cooked until crisp. (Bacon is easy to slice when frozen.)
4 carrots, peeled, shredded
1 medium sweet yellow onion, diced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
30 ounce package Frozen Shredded Hash Browns, thawed
6 cups Unsalted Chicken or Vegetable Broth or Stock
1-2 teaspoons kosher salt (start with 1 teaspoon and add more if needed after adding the cheese)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or ½ teaspoon Cajun Spice (such as Emeril’s Essence)
1 teaspoon Fines Herbes (a mixture of chervil, parsley, tarragon & chives) or parsley
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 cup Milk
2 cups Grated Cheese; a mixture of Cheddar and Gruyere tastes great.
Garnishes: chopped chives, crispy bacon, sautéed shredded carrots
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Set bacon aside and add immediately before serving.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease from pan.
- Return pan to heat and sauté shredded carrots and diced onions until onions are translucent and carrots soften and begin to caramelize. (If desired, set aside 3 tablespoons of the sautéed vegetables to use as garnish.)
- Sprinkle flour over sautéed onions and carrots, mix well and cook 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock and seasonings.
- See *NOTE if a smoother soup is desired. See **NOTE if you want to add broccoli or cauliflower.
- Add hash browns and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add cream and milk and cook 5-10 minutes, stirring often. Watch closely so soup doesn’t scald.
- Add cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- Taste the soup, and if needed, add more salt and other seasonings.
- Serve immediately.
- Garnishes: chopped fresh parsley, chives, sautéed carrot/onion mixture.
*NOTE: Directions to follow if a smoother soup is desired:
Before adding the cream and milk, use a hand blender (or stick blender) to puree the soup, then add the cream and milk.
**NOTE: This soup is the perfect base for adding steamed, frozen or roasted cauliflower or broccoli. Just add the vegetables when adding the chicken stock.
Original Recipes visit: Hash Brown Potato Cheese Soup @ thecookierookie.com