2 yellow or white onions halved and thinly sliced
1/4 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp white wine optional
1/2 tsp minced fresh thyme
1/2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
6-8 slices bacon
1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Minced fresh parsley for garnish
Sliced green onions for garnish
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Use tongs to remove to a paper towel lined plate to cool. Crumble and set aside. Keep bacon grease in the skillet.
- Heat the same skillet with the bacon grease over MED heat. Add onions, salt and brown sugar and cook until onions are soft and are turning a light golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Lower heat to MED-LOW and cook onions 20-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until they are a deep golden color.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pour in wine (if using), and use a wooden spoon to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until wine reduces by about half, then stir in rosemary and thyme.
- In a mixing bowl, add gruyere and white cheddar, sour cream and mayo.
- Stir in caramelized onions and crumbled bacon.
- Spray a baking dish or cast iron skillet with cooking spray and transfer dip to the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until bubbly and lightly golden brown.
- Sprinkle with minced parsley and sliced green onions.
Original Recipes and Notes of recipe visit: Hot and Cheesy Caramelized Onion Dip @ thechunkychef.com