The idea to make Kit Kat Cupcakes has been in my head for a long time and Halloween seemed like the perfect opportunity to finally make them. I topped rich chocolate cupcakes with a whipped vanilla buttercream and fun-sized Kit Kats. One piece of advice- I definitely suggest using a large round frosting tip rather than a star tip to frost these cupcakes. Based on my experience, it will make the frosting process a whole lot smoother.
Yield: 12 cupcakes
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch chunks
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
½ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
2 large eggs, at room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
¾ cup (1½ sticks) + 1 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1½ cups powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp vanilla extract
8 small Kit Kats
Kit Kats for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter, chocolate and cocoa powder. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until the mixture is melted and smooth. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs. Add the granulated sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Whisk until fully combined. Add the cooled chocolate mixture to the bowl, followed by ⅓ of the flour mixture. Continue whisking until combined. Add the Greek yogurt, followed by the rest of the flour mixture. Whisk until fully combined. The batter will be thick.
- Distribute the batter between the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, unwrap the Kit Kats and add them to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely ground.
- Add the butter to the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip on medium-high speed until light and creamy, about 1-2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar to the bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean pod into the bowl and add the salt. Mix until combined. Add the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Increase the mixer speed and whip on high speed until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. Add the ground Kit Kats and mix until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and add Kit Kats to the top of the cupcakes.