1/3 cup fat to cook in, such as lard, coconut oil, tallow or ghee (I used ghee)
5 medium to large organic potatoes, rinsed and cubed
4 organic leeks, sliced and rinsed of sand
sea salt to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 quarts (8 cups) bone broth
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
pepper to taste
chopped chives for garish (optional)
Chicken sausage, cut and fried for topping (optional)
- In a large soup pot, melt the ghee and add the potatoes and leeks with the salt.
- Cook on medium for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender and the salt has drawn out the juices and sweetened the leeks.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the bone broth and thyme and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, and use an immersion blender right in the pot to puree the soup completely.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste and garnish each bowl with chives, if you’d like. Serve baby about a tablespoon right off the spoon to start with. You can use a straw for older babies and toddlers.
Original recipe and more pictures visit: Paleo Creamy Potato Leek Soup @ jaysbakingmecrazy.com