The BEST Sausage, Pepper, and Onion Stuffed Zucchini Boats – are a twist on the classic northern dish, made by swapping the roll with bright and fresh zucchini boats!
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Italian Roll Sausage
- 1 yellow, orange or red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and use a spoon to hollow it out, leaving 1/4 of the flesh. Place into a large baking dish, cut side up.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Remove the sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside leaving the drippings in the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the peppers, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, basil and oregano to the skillet; cook until the peppers and onions are soft, about 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes and sausage to the pan and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Fill the zucchini with the meat mixture and top with the shredded cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
I like my zucchini tender crisp, which is how it will turn out with this preparation. If you like a softer zucchini, boil for 1-2 minutes after scooping out the flesh, then continue with the recipe as written.