2 teaspoons olive oil
2 pounds 92-97% lean ground turkey (or beef)
4 Tablespoons taco seasoning, divided (2 standard packets or make your own!)
2 (14 ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes, drained
1 (7 or 8 ounce) can tomato sauce*
2 cups chicken broth (I use reduced sodium)**
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 (14 ounce) can corn (drained and rinsed) or 1 package of frozen corn
1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small jalapeño, minced (remove seeds and ribs)***
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 hour before finishing: 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the ground meat. Cook for 4 minutes, then add 2 Tablespoons of taco seasoning. Using a wooden spoon, break the meat up as it cooks. Allow it to cook completely, about 4-5 more minutes. You want it completely cooked.
- Transfer the cooked meat to a 5 quart or larger slow cooker. (Here’s one I own and love!) Add the remaining ingredients– including the remaining taco seasoning and except for the quinoa. Stir everything together until combined. Cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Stir in the quinoa. Cook for 1 more hour on low or 30 more minutes on high.
- Serve chili warm topped with chopped green onion, shredded cheese, and/or sour cream. And serve alongside my favorite cornbread! Keep leftovers in a large tupperware in the refrigerator for up to a week. Reheat in the microwave.
- Freezing: Chili freezes beautifully for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat in a large pot on medium heat for 20-30 minutes.
*You can use homemade tomato sauce instead of canned.
**You can use vegetable or beef broth instead of chicken broth.
***If spicy isn’t your thing, leave out the jalapeño! Or add more based on how spicy you like things.
No slow cooker? No problem! Follow recipe through step 1. You can cook the meat directly in a very large pot or dutch oven and just use that to cook the chili too. Once meat is cooked, add the remaining ingredients except for the quinoa. Stir everything around until combined and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the quinoa and cook for 10 more minutes. Serve warm.
Original Recipes visit: Slow Cooker Taco Spice Chili @ sallysbakingaddiction.com