S’mores Sandwich Cookies – Shortbread Cookies filled with Chocolate and Marshmallow Crème. The perfect sandwich if you ask me.
For the Cookies
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
For the Filling
- 12–16 ounces dark chocolate plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow crème
- crushed graham crackers, for decorating (optional)
- 1/4 cup white chocolate plus 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, for decorating (optional)
- mallow bits, for decorating (optional)
- Start by making the cookies. Beat butter in the bowl of your stand mixer (with the paddle attachment) until smooth and creamy. Add sugars, corn syrup, and salt and beat until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and mix until incorporated. Mix in vanilla. Add flour and mix until incorporated as well.
- Form dough into ball and divide in half. Flatten each ball into a disk. Wrap disks separately in clear wrap and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll out each dough disk between 2 pieces of clear wrap (one disk at a time) to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out cookies and transfer to prepared cookie sheets, spacing 1 inch apart.
- If the dough becomes too soft and difficult to cut, place rolled out dough onto the baking sheet or a cutting board, and place in the freezer for 5 minutes before continuing.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are firm on top and golden around edges.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to cool completely on cooling racks.
- Once cookies have cooled, melt half of the dark chocolate with 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter in a heatproof in the microwave in 30 second increments (I start by melting half the chocolate first and melt more as needed. It depends on how much chocolate you want inside of your cookies and whether or not you decide to dip them in chocolate as well).
- Line two baking sheets with wax paper (or reuse the parchment paper lined baking sheets from baking the cookies). Place 14 cookies onto the baking sheet and spread about 1-2 tablespoons of the melted chocolate onto each cookie. Place cookie sheet into the fridge.
- Meanwhile, transfer marshmallow crème to a piping bag. Place the remaining 14 cookies onto the second baking sheet. Cut off one corner of the piping bag and pipe desired amount of marshmallow crème onto each cookie (this does not have to be neat). Using a hand torch, “toast” marshmallow crème to your preference.
- Remove chocolate covered cookies from the fridge and place each cookie on top of the marshmallow covered cookie. Return cookie sandwiches to the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Remove sandwich cookies and dip into the remaining melted chocolate (I dipped one half of half of the cookies in chocolate). Return dipped cookies to the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with crushed graham crackers and mallow bits. You can also melt the white chocolate together with the butter in a heatproof bowl in the microwave in 30 second increments and drizzle over desired amount of cookies. Return cookies to the fridge for another 15 minutes or until chocolate is set. Enjoy!
Keywords: sandwich cookies, cookies, desserts