1 (2 lb) flank steak, butterflied (you can do this yourself, OR you can ask the butcher/meat dept at your grocery store to do it, which is much easier – ask them for twine to tie this up while you’re at it!)
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed to remove excess liquid
2 tablespoons chopped sun dried tomatoes (the dry kind, not packed in oil – I used California Sun Dry brand)
12 pitted kalamata olives, chopped
5 oz crumbled Feta cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
½ teaspoon garlic salt, divided
½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon olive oil
*You will also need twine to tie the meat once it is rolled – ask for it at your meat department!
- Pre-heat the oven to 425. If you are butterflying the steak yourself, here’s a handy how-to video.
- Place the butterflied flank steak on a cutting board. You want the steak to be between ¼”-1/2” thick. If there are parts that are unevenly thick, try to flatten them out with a meat mallet for even thickness. Season by sprinkling a bit of salt and pepper over the steak.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the spinach, sun dried tomatoes, olives, Feta cheese, basil, parsley, ¼ teaspoon of the garlic salt, ¼ teaspoon of the black pepper, the ¼ teaspoon of salt and the egg yolk. Stir until well combined.
- Turn the steak if needed so that the “grain” of the steak is running left to right in front of you. Spread the spinach mixture evenly across the surface of the butterflied steak, leaving an inch or so at the back bare. Starting with the side closest to you, roll the steak tightly forward, around the filling, until the roll is complete. Use twine to tie up the rolled steak about every 2 inches. If any filling is escaping out the sides, make sure to tuck it back in.
- Transfer the stuffed steak roll to a 9×13 baking dish (or similar) and use a pastry brush to brush the olive oil all over the surface of the steak. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ teaspoon garlic salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 35 minutes*. Turn the oven to broil and broil for 5-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the steak to rest for 15 minutes before removing the twine and slicing. Cut into 12 slices with a serrated knife and serve.
*This cooks the steak to around medium in the center, if you want yours to be cooked further you can add a few minutes (don’t go crazy adding time though, the steak will continue to cook as it rests).
Original Recipes visit: Spinach and Feta Stuffed Flank Steak @ emilybites.com