1-2 teasp avocado oil
1 cup white onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 teasp cumin
4 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups tomato, chopped
2/3 cup frozen corn
1 15-oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed thoroughly
2/3 cups zucchini or yellow squash, cut into small cubes
1-2 tbsp jalapeno, finely diced (omit for non-spicy version)
hot sauce, such as Cholula (optional)
For the Garnish (all optional, but highly recommended):
hot sauce, such as Cholula
avocado, diced into small cubes
corn tortilla, cut into strips and fried or baked (or use tortilla chips)
fresh cilantro, finely chopped
fresh jalapeno, finely chopped
- Heat 1-2 teasp cooking oil (avocado oil or grapeseed oil) in a large soup pot on medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute until tender (~1-2 minutes).
- Mix in tomato paste and cumin. Add a few drops of hot sauce if using.
- Add the vegetable broth, 1/3 cup cilantro, and a dash of salt. Mix and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, zucchini, jalapeno (if using), and corn. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender (I typically check the zucchini to see when it’s done).
- Season with salt/pepper to taste.
- To Serve:
- Top with cilantro, avocado, jalapenos, and fresh fried corn tortilla strips. Add a few drops of your favorite hot sauce for additional spice. Enjoy hot!
- Vegetable Broth – I use Imagine low sodium Organic Vegetable Broth. I’ve used other brands before, but this one is by far my favorite.
- Prep Ahead Tips – Chop all the veggies ahead of time. Use tortilla chips instead of making your own.
- For Toddlers & Babies – Once the soup is done, blend it to your desired consistency.
Original Recipes visit: The Best Vegan Tortilla Soup @ vegetariangastronomy.com