1½ cups brown rice
½ tsp vegetable bouillon
½ cup vegetable broth for sauteing
5 cloves garlic, diced
1½ cups white onion, chopped (2 medium)
1 tsp cumin
7 cups mushrooms, chopped
1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, 1 green pepper
1-2 jalapeno peppers
1 sprig fresh cilantro, chopped
3 heaping cups white beans
½ cup tomato sauce
¼ cup nutritional yeast*
Sea Salt and Pepper
1½ cups corn
3 cups plain tomato sauce
1½ tsp garlic powder
1½ tbsp cane sugar
2 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
½ tsp cumin
For the Burritos
Handful fresh cilantro, chopped
3 avocados, chopped
12 large tortilla wraps
Zesty Avocado Lime Dressing
- Preheat: Oven to 350F/180C. Lightly spray two casserole dishes (9×13 and 8×8 – or whatever large casserole dishes you have on hand) with a bit of oil (so the burritos don’t stick to the pan when baking) OR line the casserole dishes with parchment paper.
- Rice: Prepare the rice while making the burrito filling. Boil and simmer the brown rice and vegetable bouillon in water 1¾ cup water (you might need to use a bit more or less water depending on the brown rice you use).
- Burrito Filling: In a large pot, over medium-high heat, saute the garlic and onions with cumin in a couple splashes of vegetable broth for a couple of minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and peppers (seeds in the jalapenos if you like it spicy!). Saute for 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms and peppers are lightly cooked. Add splashes of vegetable broth when necessary so the vegetables don’t stick to the pan.
- Add the fresh cilantro and white beans. Saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce and nutritional yeast. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off the heat and blend ⅓ of the mixture. Stir in the corn.
- Tomato Sauce: Stir together tomato sauce, garlic powder, cane sugar, cumin and fresh cilantro.
- Assemble the Burritos: Lay the tortilla wrap on a plate. Stuff with ½ cup of the Burrito Filling, ¼ heaping cup of brown rice, a small handful of chopped avocado and a few pieces of cilantro. Roll the tortillas and place them in the casserole dish seam down. Continue filling, rolling and placing the tortillas in the pan until all the tortilla wraps are used up. They can be tightly squeezed together in the pan (see photo). Use any additional rice and bean mixture for a salad the next day. Cover with the tomato sauce mixture.
- Bake: Bake for 25 minutes uncovered. Garnish with Creamy Zesty Avocado Lime Dressing, fresh cilantro and green onion.
- Use 2 jalapeno peppers (some seeds left in) if you want these burritos spicier. I use one jalapeno (seeds out) when making this for family.
- I like this recipe with nutritional yeast because it gives the filling a “cheesy” taste. Leave it out if you do not desire a cheesy taste
- Use gluten free tortilla wraps if you need this recipe to be gluten free.
- To keep this recipe oil-free, line the casserole dish with parchment paper.
Original Recipes visit: White Bean and Avocado Baked Burritos @ cearaskitchen.com