1 large head of cauliflower
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt, pepper & garlic powder
2 lbs. hot Italian Sausage
1/2 lb. thick-cut bacon, cut into small pieces
1 very large onion
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
6-7 cups roughly chopped kale (or as much as you like)
- Chop cauliflower into bite-sized pieces then toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Roast cauliflower on a very large baking sheet (or two 13×9 pans) at 375 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until toasty brown on the bottom. Keep an eye on it because the bottom will brown waaaaay before the top has any color at all. Remove from oven; set aside.
- Meanwhile, remove casings from Italian sausage (if applicable) then cook and crumble sausage in a large skillet until browned and cooked through. Drain fat; set aside.
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving the bacon drippings in the pot. Set bacon aside.
- Add onion to bacon drippings in the pot then sauté for 5 minutes (add a little olive oil if necessary). Season with salt and pepper then add garlic and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and cooked sausage, cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Add cauliflower, cooked bacon and cream then continue cooking for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning then add salt, pepper and/or garlic powder if desired. Stir in kale, cover, turn off heat and allow soup to rest for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- Makes approximately 10-12 servings.
Original recipe and notes of recipe visit: Zuppa Toscana with Roasted Cauliflower (Low Carb!) @ southyourmouth.com