½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
Zest from 1 lemon
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (divided)
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 cups fresh, ripe blueberries
½ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly grease and flour an 8-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Remove two tablespoons of the flour and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the butter, lemon zest and ¾ cup of sugar. Beat for several minutes, scraping down the sides as needed, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla just until incorporated.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Beat on low until incorporated. Add ⅓ of the buttermilk and blend until smooth. Repeat adding ⅓ of the flour then ⅓ of the buttermilk until both are incorporated. Remove the bowl from the mixer.
- Toss the blueberries with the reserved 2 tablespoons of flour. Gently fold the blueberries and any extra flour into the batter using a rubber spatula. Take care not to rupture the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the turbinado sugar and bake in a 325 preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
Original recipe visit: Blueberry Breakfast Cake @ savingdessert.com