1 large sweet potato, 13-15oz
6 oz fresh carrots
1/2 yellow onion
1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 TBSP unsalted butter
3 TBSP all-purpose flour
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth [extra to taste]
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt, to taste
Garlic bread croutons:
2 slices of whole grain bread
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1 TBSP butter
1/8-1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp paprika
a sprinkle of ground cinnamon
garlic bread croutons [see above]
fresh or dried parsley
Sriracha chili sauce [optional but amazing!]
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and chop you veggies, drizzle with EVOO, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Roast on a lined baking sheet on the center rack for 30-40 minutes.
- Bring a medium pot to medium-low heat and melt your butter.
- Next add the flour, slowly, whisking into the butter to form a roux. Stir constantly while the roux thickens, then slowly whisk in your veggie broth.
- Add your roasted veggies and season with 1/8 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp salt, adjusting amounts to taste as needed. You can also thin the broth to your idea of perfect consistency using a little extra broth! My husband prefers thin soups; I like mine thick! Both are glorious! Simply adjust seasoning to taste if you add additional broth, easy peasy.
- Blend soup using an immersion blender, or in batches using a blender or food processor.
- Serve hot, topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon and crispy garlic bread croutons. Enjoy!
FOR THE CROUTONS: pre-heat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees F. Chop bread into small cubes, drizzle with garlic-spiked butter with a pinch of salt, and toss to coat. Top with sesame seeds [optional] and sprinkle with paprika, toast until golden brown.
Original Recipes visit: Easy Roasted Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Garlic Bread Croutons @ peasandcrayons.com