2 cups water (110° F)
2/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup oil
5.5-6 cups flour
- Combine water, sugar, and yeast and let it proof.
- When yeast mixture is a creamy foam with little bubbles (about 10 minutes), mix in oil and salt into the yeast mixture.
- Slowly mix in one cup of flour at a time. Use as much flour as needed to create a good, non-sticky dough.
- Knead dough for about 5 minutes.
- Oil a bowl, place the dough in it, and cover with a slightly damp cloth to let rise. Let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled.
- After it has risen, punch cough down. Divide in half and shape loaves.
- Place loaves into 2 well-oiled 9×5″ loaf pans. Allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Place on a wire rack to allow to cool.
Use less sugar if desired to create a normal bread.
Original recipe visit: Amish Sweet Bread @ unitedmomsnetwork.com