Best Ever Slow Cooker Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe – Slow Cooker Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is creamy, delicious and bursting with fresh lemon flavor! It’s the easiest way to make avgolemono soup and it’s great for meal prep!
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast*
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 large stalk celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken stock homemade or low sodium
- 2 cups water or sub with more chicken stock for added flavor
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice or orzo pasta do not use instant rice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
6 Quart Crock Pot
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken, onion, celery, garlic, stock and water in your slow cooker. Cook about 3 hours on high, or 4-5 hours on low, adding the rice or orzo during the last hour or so of cooking time to prevent overcooking.1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast*,1 yellow onion,1 large stalk celery,1 clove garlic,4 cups chicken stock,2 cups water,1/2 cup uncooked white rice or orzo pasta,salt and pepper
When the chicken is done, remove it from the slow cooker and allow to cool slightly. Chop into chunks or shred, and place back in the slow cooker.
Place the eggs in a medium bowl and beat lightly, then whisk in the lemon juice until combined. Place about 1 cup of hot soup broth in a measuring cup, and add a few droplets at a time to the egg-lemon mixture whisking constantly to temper the eggs. Continue adding the hot broth in a slow, steady stream while whisking constantly.
After all the stock has been added, add the egg-lemon mixture to the soup in the slow cooker and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste, serve, and enjoy!
- Pro tip: Use bone-in skinless chicken breasts to add flavor to the soup. Once the chicken is cooked, simply shred the chicken and discard the bones.
- You may also use leftover cooked orzo pasta or rice and add at the end of cooking time. Just heat until warm.
- The video in this recipe card shows the rice or pasta added at the start of cooking time, but for best results I recommend adding it during the last hour of cooking to ensure that it’s not overcooked.
- If you like your soup even richer, add an additional egg. Add more lemon juice to taste if you like yours nice and lemony.
- Leftover avgolemono soup will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Reheat gently on the stove top, or in a bowl in the microwave until warm.