These 100% whole wheat dinner rolls are fluffy, stay soft for days, and make excellent sandwiches! A must-have for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Yield: 24 rolls
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup (120 milliliters) warm water
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter or coconut oil1, softened + additional butter for brushing on top, if desired
1/4 cup (80 grams) honey
3 large eggs (50 gram each, out of shell), room temperature
1 cup (240 milliliters) buttermilk or homemade dairy-free buttermilk2
1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups (563-625 grams) whole wheat flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the 1/2 cup of warm water. Set this aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and honey until well combined.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, and yeasty water and beat until well combined.
- Add in the vital wheat gluten and the salt and switch to the dough hook.
- Add in 2 cups of the flour and mix.
- Then add in enough of the remaining flour so that the dough just comes together. Depending on the day, you may need quite a bit.
- Knead for only 2 minutes.
- Visit Soft and Fluffy Dinner Rolls (100% whole wheat, dairy-free option) @ texanerin.com for full instructions.